Anonymous
I would imagine that not many of you remember the singer Frankie Vaughan. Born today in 1928 he was known as 'Mr Moonlight' after one of his hit songs 'Give me the Moonlight'. He came on stage wearing a top hat at jaunty angle and carrying a cane, and during his act he would do high kicks, and his singing was accompanied by squeals of delight from his adoring women fans.

He was born Frank Abelson but his Russian grandmother said that he was her number 'vorn' singer.

He also starred in films and in 1960 he starred with Marilyn Monroe in 'lets Make Love'

His flamboyant act including hits like 'Garden of Eden' and 'Green Door' ensured his fame as a popular singer for over 30 years. He had a great affiliation with the 'Boys Club' as he was a refugee in Lancaster during WW2 and he was greatful for the help that they gave him, so much so that he donated the proceeds from his 1956 hit 'Green Door' to them. Frankie Vaughan died in 1999.
6 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Yes, remember Frankie Vaughan well, which sort of gives my ages away!! Used to like him singing Green Door and also The Garden of Eden, but never like Give me the Moonlight.


  2. Anita Says:

    Oooh Jill, you are a fountain of knowledge ;)..xxx I have heard of Frankie Vaughan before, but I don;t actually remember him.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Oh, Gordon Bennett, I remember him. I was a kiddiewink, mind you, but I remember he would kick his leg from behind the stage curtain then the hat and cane would appear. What's worse, I can remember the songs too. Jeeps. x


  4. liz Says:

    Hi Jill I can remember Frankie Vaughan too but not very well! I do remember Green Door though but preferred Shakin Stevens' version. Not very keen on Frankie Vaughan - a bit 'greasy'!
    Where do you get your information from? x


  5. Linda Says:

    Hi Jill,

    Where's the next one ?
    x


  6. Anonymous Says:

    I can do some more but I thought you might get bored with them.
    I have a todays the day game which gives some info and then I look it up on the net, Liz.
    Must be nearly time for you to come back to the snow and cold.


Post a Comment