Anonymous
After the sad demise of the blackbirds in the garage ( I don't know what happened to them but they disappeared overnight) a Swallow has built a nest right at the top of the garage out of reach. I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago and only then because of the mess down the side of the car lol. I watched the parents flying in and out and last Wednesday there was a little bird on the floor. Quite cold and dead. Then on Thursday after Anita's evening class and I was saying goodbye to her I noticed another one in exactly the same spot. Again the poor little thing was dead. Then on Friday morning there was a third one, but this time it was alive. I thought about trying to get it back in the nest but Richard said there was no way we could get up to the nest so I picked it up and found a little box for it which I lined and popped it on top of the car. The parents must have been feeding it because it survived the night. On Saturday morning it was in the middle of the car park and as we had Jane Gill's cclass I was concerned that it would get squashed by a car reversing in. So again I picked it up and put it in the box. As the sun shone on it I could see what beautful colours were developing in its wings. It is always difficult to know what to do for the best. Maybe I should have left it to take its chance but it was obviously not ready to fly. Again the parents were feeding it but sadly when I looked on Sunday morning it was dead. Life is so cruel at times.

6 Responses
  1. Lynn Says:

    Thats sad Jill, but you did your best :) x


  2. Very sad, Jill - sometimes it's another male throwing these babies out of the nest, I believe.

    Funnily enough, today I've just been keeping a young Siskin warm in a shoebox after it knocked itself out on the patio door. I've just released it after three hours and it's flown away ok! It is dificult to know what to do for the best, I agree, but I couldn't leave it for a cat to pick up.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    That would make sense Gillian as I have seen the pair on the telephone wire and another one on its own a little way further along. I wondered why there was always 3 adults birds. You are a mine of information on wildlife.


  4. Linda Says:

    Such a shame but at least you tried Jill. I do the same with bumble bees and give them sugary water :)


  5. well done on trying, nature is so cruel at times :(


  6. Tessab Says:

    Very sad, Jill. :(


Post a Comment